Friday, April 29, 2022

 

From the Bottom of the Bucket

The G4 Letters

(Editor’s Note: I am upgrading my format to reflect a different take on my observations.  This month, our first great grandchild (generation four, or G4), Oliver, came into our lives. One of my muses (thank you Chris) suggested that I write an open letter to this young lad.  It is my intention to have him read it in the future and perhaps write me back (although the postage may be prohibitive!)

 

Dear Oliver,

I met you last night at my wife’s birthday party. I held you in my arms and wondered what dreams were filling your thoughts.  I guess you have thoughts, but who knows.  Don ‘t worry they will come soon enough.  Your memory is a clean slate, so you won’t be troubled by



regrets. You’re not bothered by worries about politics or wars. Your budget is balanced.  Your health is perfect.  Most of all, it appears that you are blissfully unaware of your state. Too bad, it sounds like heaven.

My memory is filled with images of your Grand Ma and Mommy when they were your age.  It makes me humble to witness it all over again.  We call that The Cycle of Life. You are our newest circle and what roads will you roll down?   I can only hope to support your trip

When I grow down I want to be just like you. Keep it simple.  Believe it or not, most of our imperfections are our own doing.  Remnants from the journey called life, a trial-and-error experience that we all have. Each step of that experience is chock full of lessons and go figure, we actually learn some of them.

The gods have blessed you to be born free and loved.  With a doting family, you have a head start.  It won’t be long before you begin your conscious experience and all the baggage that comes with it.  So, in the meantime, enjoy your crying and pooping. For now, leave the tough stuff to Mom and Dad.  After all, that’s what they did when they started out on their tour !

 

Yours In Love

 Pappy

     

Until next time, I wish you fulfillment.

 

Bob

 

 

 

 

2 comments: